Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Frog Fun and Poetry



The girls have been integrating their study of frogs (or is it tadpoles?!) throughout their curriculum. In math the girls have been counting and comparing frog handfuls, solving and creating frog story problems and measuring each other with frog leaps!
Below are photos of the girls using different methods to solve the math problem: There were ____ frogs swimming in the pond. All of the frogs were tired of swimming and wanted to sit on a lily pad.  _____ frogs can fit on one lily pad. How many lily pads will be filled with frogs?


























In Writer's Workshop Ms. Hamre has been introducing the girls to the wonderful world of poetry. The girls chose various objects from our nature box to use for inspiration and Ms. Hamre helped guide them by encouraging them to use their senses and write from a different perspective. Below is a poem the class made as they shared their observations about a wooden disc with Ms. Hamre.

It’s A……

A stump
A squash
Like a circle
A table if I were small
If I were small it would be a rug for me!
A pizza
A pancake
A Waffle
A dinner plate
If I were small it would be a flat rock
A bed for a fairy
A drum to drum on
A stop sign
If I were little this would be a helpful little tree to make oxygen
A sprinkler
A wooden flower
A tire
A picture 
If I were small a clock
A pool
A fish tank
A hat
A frisbee
A ride down the river for teeny tiny fairies


No comments:

Post a Comment